sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Compressed filetype detection (Bug #16011)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Compressed filetype detection (Bug #16011)
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 21:31:02 +0200

On Sunday 15 of May 2016 16:04:39 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> I am thinking about having the uncompression, checksumming, signature
> verification, etc. all reworked and split into a separate unit, so
> that we can make it more flexible and streamline all tasks related
> to the inspection, packing and unpacking of spell sources, which I
> hope makes it easier to build better tools, specially to automate
> spell creation and inspection, and which could remove the need to
> specify information like BUILD_DIRECTORY into the spells.
They're already in separate "units" — libraries. How could they be any easier
to reuse? If you're missing some more high-level interfaces, that is trivial
to add.

The only reason I can think of for a separate BUILD_DIRECTORY var is that
some
archives don't extract to expected locations. In case they create more than
one top-level directory, the correct one can't be deterministically guessed,
so I doubt the var can go away. I guess it's also partly a verification
mechanism.

LP
--
To err is humour