sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Compressed filetype detection (Bug #16011)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Compressed filetype detection (Bug #16011)
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 15:45:47 -0300

On 15/May/2016 13:29, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> On Saturday 14 of May 2016 16:12:34 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> > Dear fellow mages,
> >
> > Bug #16011 [0], recently filled, deals with the issue of upgrading
> > an old system to the latest stable releases.
> >
> > Since a while ago, some of the sources of spells in stable are
> > compressed by xz, but this format is not recognized by older versions
> > of the `file` command, which sorcery uses to figure out how to
> > decompress the file.
> >
> > As a first measure to avoid this issue now and in future releases, I
> > would like to replace the code dealing with parsing the output of the
> > `file` command with a custom script that detects only the formats
> > needed by sorcery, and has no external dependencies. A prototype
> > written using only dd and awk is attached to the bug report [1].
> >
> > I would like to hear opinions about this implementation and any ideas
> > about how it could be improved.
> Hey,
>
> maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see an improvement here. When we
> get
> in the same situation next time, how will we be able to ensure the user
> updates this script first? Seems easier with a spell (force_depends).

Good point. However, it seems to me that we're always going to run
into this kind of problem because we don't have any way to force
a minimum version, if we could, we may be able to solve this thru
the base-system spell, and an upgrade guide with a big warning about
making extra sure base-system is up to date, or perhaps a way for a
grimoire to have dependencies itself, that might be even better.