sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:40:45 -0600

On 01/19/2016 02:23 AM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> about that new cheaper server … that kind of hardware/setup is it? I was
> wondering why mediawiki.sourcemage.org is that darn slow. It's also
> around a second after the initial loading of content that the style
> sheet seems to be arriving and then the whole page changes. Stealth's
> site is so much more snappy:-/ Wikipedia itself also is faster and I
> don't see the late style arrival. What's the difference? Is
> mediawiki.sourcemage.org under some DoS attack?

The hardware isn't bad, although I don't know the exact specifications.
I am running the pgsql, mediawiki, and bugzilla all on the same server.
We can probably get more ram for this VM if this is the way we want to
run it, or we can move the database server to a different VM. There's
some flexibility there.

However, as I mentioned in the previous email, our PHP spell is out of
date, and does not include the useful caching stuff that would make
mediawiki perform substantially faster. I can also improve the
performance of the site further with memcached, but I haven't spent the
time to do that yet. It is not operating at peak efficiency, I chose to
get something done, and out there first, as a test run to see how well
it worked putting some content in there.

It's extremely fast for anonymous users, as it actually keeps around the
fully rendered HTML, since theres no dynamic-ness at all. It's possible
you're noticing that with wikipedia (unless you're logged into wikipedia
all the time). Also wikipedia has spent the time to fully optimize
mediawiki. I will do these optimizations (would appreciate some help
with the php spell though). I think it probably wouldn't hurt to go all
the way to php 7 and get that working.

> Note: I don't have JavaScript activated. Dunno if that catches the late
> arrival of the CSS. The site would still be slow to respond.
>
> Hm, the bug tracker also needs its time, but I have encountered other
> bugzillas that also are not that responsive. So it indeed could just be
> the very busy machine / uplink.
>
> As David already said that he'd be glad about any progress:
> Stealth: Are you alive?! Couldn't you find time to move things? How's
> the software behind the site? I remember you writing about spells you
> hacked for it.

Since there hasn't been any objection to my earlier proposal, I'm going
to start the wheels in motion to move to the things that I've set up on
the distro hardware, so at the least, we don't have a "Sorry it's broke"
page. With regards to bugzilla and importing bugs, I'm still not fully
convinced that ancient, unacted on, bugs are worth keeping around, but
we can import them. I do not wish to keep the same bugzilla structure as
before, as that doesn't make any sense to do at all with the type of
organization we are right now.

We'll hopefully have the DNS records updated, I'll work on getting the
spells updated, at least to a php5 version that includes the right
caching, and then get a memcached on there to further improve both
bugzilla and mediawiki. (I think the php caching would lead to a huge
improvement right off the bat, but our php spell is too old.)

--
David Kowis