sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 02:38:35 +0300

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 18:03:03 -0300
Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 22:22:37 +0300
> Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru> wrote:
> > The website of a distro, especially such complex, is not a blog and is
> > not a news list. It isn't a 3-pages homesite with several updates
> > once a year as well.
> >
> > It's a complex (in structure -- think of many sections, subsections
> > and syntax and view of >500 pages) thing that is needed to be
> > structured properly. Wiki engine (especially one that conforms any
> > good standard -- so it'll be easy to migrate to any other wiki if
> > needed) provides a lot of useful features like automatic linking,
> > indexes, menu generation, orphaned and wanted pages, backlinks and so
> > on. And it is still a consistent site with single auth
> > (captcha-supported as well), pages' preview, search and history.
> >
> > And it's always easy to support something that is a standard. If some
> > product is becoming dead -- no problem to migrate to something that is
> > actively developed and conforms the same standard.
>
> I'm not talking about editing html by hand...

Noone says about 'editing html' by hand. I'm just saying that static
generation is applied where it's really needed. Once again: it's not a
newsblog. As you can see, "/News" is completely static:

http://beta.sourcemage.ru/News/
http://beta.sourcemage.ru/News/grimoire-0-14/

and it's fine there. But for distro site -- wiki would work the best.
I repeat: it needs interaction. Interaction in such simple things like
search:

http://beta.sourcemage.ru/%2Bsearch?q=smgl

and many cases to get orphaned/wanted pages, good-looking history view,
etc. Especially when you have (again) >500 pages, located in a hundred
of subsections containing other subsections -- it's just a mess with
no structure, or with -- but you will lose your all grey hair
maintaining it. Static is not appliable everywhere. It's a modern
trend, but it doesn't fit everything you can imagine, and there's like
a ton of articles on the Internet describing all its weaknesses.

--
Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>