sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:03:44 +0100

Am Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:56:01 +0300
schrieb Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>:

> My main idea was -- to get back the face that inspired myself to try
> smgl long ago. So let me present a try for the new Source Mage webface:
>
> http://beta.sourcemage.guru

+1 also for bringing back the SMGL favicon, heck any SMGL artwork at all

We don't have to change the project management (bug tracker) stuff yet
again (though we might eventually), but I really missed some proper
front page for Source Mage. I didn't dive deep yet, but really, just
the main page and a proper download page are gold! Also there is a
chance to find docs about writing spells, etc.

Chiliproject may stay, but it's no website for facing users, it's a
developer site. Users may become developers, but until then, they need
to be lured in. That's not what your current site does. I'm not sure
what the layout possibilities would be to adapt the nicer layout for the
currrent site.

> About information:

Wow. Yes, this really is more appealing and you are able to find some
docs. Though: Where is the wiki part? What I'm seeing are the static
pages only. Or rather, I think I see docs pulled from the wiki, but
no signs of the pages actually being in a wiki. Forgive my ignorance,
I'm in the role of the hapless user now;-)

> - the site looks well on all portable devices like mobiles or tablets
> - the site conforms HTML 4.01 Strict and CSS 3

Yes, that's the way. Though, I don't oppose HTML5 (in case we want to
embed tutoriual videos;-) as long as JavaScript is no requirement to
get at the information. One little nitpick, though: The search field
seems to feature white text on white background on my Firefox.

> There's a lot in our TODO list

Right, and uppermost priority should be to deliver something. When we
have the launch of a nicer user-facing website (keeping chiliproject)
orchestrated along with a new stable grimoire, perhaps the first one
after merging devel-xorg-modular, that sends a strong signal to us and
the world that we're still there.

I don't think that we'll attract new developers to get us out of the
mud, though. First, we get out of the mud (towards stable-0.63 or so)
and then the have a change of attracting new folks without them running
away right away.

> I also suggest
> migration of our bug-tracking system either to github[13] (which was
> discussed before) or to redmine[14].

+1 for self-hosting a redmine instance (or whatever)
+100 for not discussing that before we got current xorg and gcc in
stable grimoire;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas