sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] multilib

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] multilib
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 16:16:26 -0600

> If you just want to run precompiled binaries, I'd probably create a Ubuntu
> or Debian chroot since that is typically what they are tested against. It'll
> also be easier to maintain since you don't have to compile everything.

Hmm, yeap, Vlad mentioned that. Makes sense, but with my current
number of 32 bits libs dependencies, I think it's not as easy to
maintain, see what I answered to Vlad.

Well, neet to think of it.

BTW, not that I promote it, and I'm not moving from source based
distro at all, but it seems gentoo has some sort of support for
multilib with 3 approaches (one with binaries, similar to having a
binary-32 grimoire, note that binary-32 is more explicit than
multilib-binary):

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multilib

About such grimoire, which is what it sounds to me, well, need to
think of it. My major concern besides the effort and maintainance, is
when certain libs start failing if something like systemd is lacking
(which I really don't want on my system). Again, hopefully at some
point there are no binaries dependencies, or at least not from
different architectures like currently on x86...

Thanks again,

--
Javier