sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: Shortcuts for reducing base system breakage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: Shortcuts for reducing base system breakage
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:58:44 +0200

Am Sat, 13 Sep 2014 15:04:35 -0300
schrieb Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>:

> We might be able to reduce base system breakage to a minimum by
> carefully choosing which spells we depend upon, e.g. bash and gawk had
> break badly in the past.

Switching to different tools/libraries is a separate matter from
keeping the basic sorcery operation alive, IMHO. Tucking away a tree of
static tools to be used by sorcery independent of the normal casts that
would help regardless of using mawk or gawk. I'm not saying that
alternatives shouldn't be explored, just that I feel that this can
easily result in other yet unknown issues.

Alrighty then,

Thomas