sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What's needed to get merged gcc into the main grimoire?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What's needed to get merged gcc into the main grimoire?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 07:54:28 +0200

Am Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:32:39 +0900
schrieb flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:

> Whether staging BUILD in addition to INSTALL makes sense or not I
> suppose would depend on your level of paranoia that something in BUILD
> can overwrite existings files in the live host filesystem (which I
> suppose could happen, but would be a very broken build).

The issue is more that some builds need that self-conflict cruft because they
would get wrong ideas with the old installation (or relatives of the old
version) still present ... but with arbitrary complex (build) scripts running
as root (...), a bit of paranoia to control the effects of any step on the
file system is healthy, IMHO.

> could be added as a later option? I'm personally more concerned with the
> case of dispel before install vs. install before dispel, as mentioned
> above.

I agree that this is a _big_ point. I think installing over the existing
files and then cleanup leftovers via install logs would be less disruptive;
although still far from the optimal solution of full staging and
user-determined merge into the file system (what flux is doing with the
chroot, sort of).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.