sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What's needed to get merged gcc into the main grimoire?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What's needed to get merged gcc into the main grimoire?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 12:59:01 +0200

Am Thu, 04 Aug 2011 11:09:35 +0200
schrieb Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>:

> On Thursday 04 of August 2011 10:29:51 Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > Shouldn't we do this basically for all spells anyway? Pre-stage the
> > install then do the magic to merge it in?
> Maybe. It's not necessary most of the time and wouldn't work all the time
> (for
> the same reason we have self-conflicts).

Man, I'd really like to see proper castfs usage: As staging environment for
the whole cast, multiple casts even. For self-conflicts, and in the course of
multiple casts into the staging environment, stuff needs only be removed for
the build environment (castfs), not for the live system. Merges of casts into
the real system should happen in bulk form on demand by the admin ... having
similar dangerousness as normal upgrade of binary distros.

But well, we've had this suggestion several times in the past and what's
missing is someone to implement it. But I'm not that one. Not this year. Just
as last year:-/ Still, it strikes me as odd that other SMGL folks don't seem
to see this as such a major issue as I do. Is everyone using a dual rootfs
approach* to prevent casts from forcing downtime on machines? How do you
update your SMGL servers?

I have a faint memory that such a staging thingie is standard in gentoo ...
but I'd have to research into that again. It should be a standard feature of
source-based distros, though.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

* Which is a rather extreme approach at the cast staging ... a whole real
filesystem for updates, quick merge via rsync or such ... or just reboot into
the other fs. Then do updates in the first fs. Loop.