sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] proxy email from flux_control about test6 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] proxy email from flux_control about test6 iso
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:36:37 -0600

Quoting "Ladislav Hagara" <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>:

Btw, after installation there is still missing /etc/network/interfaces.
What is the problem with file:
-
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
-
Users will be happy and admins can change it.

I'm going to note that we never set up the networking for them in the
past.

In the past we had our "netconf" so configuration of network was very
easy also for users, not now.

I disagree:

`man networking`

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

It's terribly simple. Just requires some RTFM. We're not a distro for total noobs to a command line and to man pages. I actually think this is better, because there actually is documentation, unlike before. Of course, someone could always go rewrite netconf to generate such a file.

--
David Kowis
Source Mage Linux - www.sourcemage.org