sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] proxy email from flux_control about test6 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] proxy email from flux_control about test6 iso
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:23:36 -0600

Quoting "Ladislav Hagara" <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>:

I downloaded iso and checked md5 at the 09:45 (GMT+1) and it was OK.
My students burned it and install it. All were SUCCESSFUL, of course
with my help. :-)
In fact one of them burned iso image as a file on cd and was wondering
why he couldn't boot form cd. :-)
Now I will test it more and I will inform you.

My info / notes:
1)
During ISO boot there are 2 red failures. Of cource no problem, only not
fitting to stable iso:
modutils: failure
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.27.10-SMGL-iso/modules.dep.temp
for writing: Read-only file system
network: failure
network: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Btw, after installation there is still missing /etc/network/interfaces.
What is the problem with file:
-
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
-
Users will be happy and admins can change it.

I'm going to note that we never set up the networking for them in the past. I see no reason to change it. It's quite trivial to add that. While there's not a "problem" with doing it, you may be expecting a minimal system not one that's already on dhcp. Rather than having to turn something off, I think it's better to require them to turn it on.

--
David Kowis
Source Mage Linux - www.sourcemage.org