sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:31:00 -0500

On Sep 15, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> Here's my take on the issue: revert the reversion, i.e. go back to gtk+2
> 2.14.
> I think this is the right solution mainly because we simply don't know
> how widespread this issue is, and if we don't update, we will never find
> out.

I agree.

> Depending on the feedback we get once this is in test, we may or may not
> revert the update in the next stable-rc, but for test grimoire, I
> consider this not big enough an issue to force this downgrade. There's a
> workaround for those people hitting the issue, by getting the older
> spell(s) and putting them into their grimoire. We can even attach the
> old spells to the bug report for those who don't read sm-discuss.

I would add that the users/devs who experience the problem can do what they
do for any other bug: submit an optional patch to the spell. If the only
known workaround for this is to use an older version, make it a
multi-version spell, with the current version the default but the older one
available. As always, the onus for providing and maintaining that patch
should first be on those with the problem.