sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GTK+2 UPDATE REVERTED
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:46:29 +0200

Hi everyone,

sorry for not reading mail while such a long discussion happened, real
life can be demanding.

Here's my take on the issue: revert the reversion, i.e. go back to gtk+2
2.14.
I think this is the right solution mainly because we simply don't know
how widespread this issue is, and if we don't update, we will never find
out.
It was a violation of our established processes to revert it without
discussion, as it was a perfectly fine working spell. We have a lot of
apps and libs in the grimoire with bugs that affect one or more users.
It's simply not feasible to keep stuff at older versions until that
isn't the case anymore, or debian stable will be more up-to-date than we
are.

Depending on the feedback we get once this is in test, we may or may not
revert the update in the next stable-rc, but for test grimoire, I
consider this not big enough an issue to force this downgrade. There's a
workaround for those people hitting the issue, by getting the older
spell(s) and putting them into their grimoire. We can even attach the
old spells to the bug report for those who don't read sm-discuss.

http://www.sourcemage.org