sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] install iso 0.10.0-test1 tested ....

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] install iso 0.10.0-test1 tested ....
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:22:40 -0400

Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. (ivan.lezhnjov.jr AT gmail.com) wrote [08.07.20 13:11]:
> Saturday 19 July 2008, flux wrote:
> > Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [08.07.16 20:26]:
> > > After installation I got only kernel panic. Problems to find root fs.
> > > Something with scsi support. I had to boot install iso and recompile
> > > kernel (added some scsi driver?).
> > > There should be prepared also (optional) screen with kernel compiling
> > > and installing.
> >
> > I was afraid of this happening. I have a feeling it's because the initrd
> > on the ISO loaded the necessary modules to access your hardware before
> > actually trying to access it. The installed kernel, on the other hand,
> > does not (yet?) have such an accompanying initrd. I warned of this
> > possible problem in the release announcement. Would you be able to find
> > the exact error message?
>
> Everything worked out fine for me except this very issue.
>
> The exact message is:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8,1)
>
> This is an external SATA USB HDD hooked up to a desktop machine.

Please, please file a bug for this, and include as much information
about your hardware as possible. Also, please include what kind of
filesystem you formatted the root partition to install into with, as
that might be relevant (though I suspect it's just the hardware).

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage