sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:30:29 +0200

On 19:19:39 2008-05-27 seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:10:51PM +0200, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 May 2008 18:56:27 Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > > On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 08:39:24AM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > It was like that originally, but got split so spells could depend on
> > > specific compilers (we didn't have sub_depends back then). When
> > > subdepends were introduced, the decision was to still keep the gcc
> > > spells separate so you don't have to recompile the whole thing just
> > > to add one compiler (especially annoying when you include the
> > > long-to-build frontends like gcj and ada).
> > > Right now I don't have a strong opinion either way, both solutions
> > > have advantages and disadvantages.
> >
> > I actually have a local version of the spell which integrates things.
> > g++ is then a dummy spell which uses 'depends -sub c++ gcc'
> >
> > I find this setup is much faster when rebuilding things. I don't use
> > gcj, fortran or ada.
>
> I think in the whole scheme of things, most people will be rebuilding
> (for upgrades and compiler option changes) more often than adding a
> compiler type, so the subdepends idea is the one that will reduce
> compilation time for most people, particularly in the long run.
>
> The virtual subdepends spell is also a perfect transition plan.
>
> And somebody's already written it up. Seems like a good time to switch?

I agree... though I wouldn't be opposed to both variants... an all-in-one
spell and a split setup... I tend to build atleast gcc,g++,objc and gcj so
having that all-in-one would certainly reduce compile times by a lot.

But in some instances I only want a single one and then add another one
when needed...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C