sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Rolling up a 64-bit ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Rolling up a 64-bit ISO
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:23:14 -0400

Juuso Alasuutari (iuso AT sourcemage.org) wrote [08.05.19 18:12]:
> David Kowis wrote:
> > Quoting Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>:
>
> >> We have a pretty decent new ISO now. If I could re-build it in a 64-bit
> >> chroot and create an image out of it, I wouldn't consider it wasted
> >> effort. Or is there something in particular that would make that sort of
> >> a thing complex?
> >>

> > I'm not sure. It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a
> > simple extract a tarball and viola, I 've got an installed 64-bit
> > machine. Our existing silver thistle iso will do it. If you want
> > something more automagic and fancy, then we don't have anything, and
> > it takes a significant amount of effort to generate.
>
> I talked with flux_control and it seems that my idea about creating an
> ISO isn't completely realistic. It would probably be too much work in my
> current situation. But if you could supply caches of basesystem spells
> (and some other tidbits I might need) I'd love to try and shove them on
> my laptop's HD. I have a good kernel config already, so I can deal with
> any generic hardware compat issues.
>
> Juuso

I just thought up another idea for your 64-bit ISO. If you download a
copy of my ISO build chroot, then you could use that as a starting point
and then tweak it for 64-bit. There would still be some things you would
need to be careful of, but at least you wouldn't be starting from
scratch, and I could walk you through the steps. It's up to you if you
want to wait for me to get a new one out, or if you want to dig into it
starting from my 32-bit chroot. Just let me know, and I can get you a
compressed tarball if you want it.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage