sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Rolling up a 64-bit ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Rolling up a 64-bit ISO
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 01:12:51 +0300

David Kowis wrote:
Quoting Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>:

We have a pretty decent new ISO now. If I could re-build it in a 64-bit
chroot and create an image out of it, I wouldn't consider it wasted
effort. Or is there something in particular that would make that sort of
a thing complex?

I'm not sure. It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a simple extract a tarball and viola, I 've got an installed 64-bit machine. Our existing silver thistle iso will do it. If you want something more automagic and fancy, then we don't have anything, and it takes a significant amount of effort to generate.

I talked with flux_control and it seems that my idea about creating an ISO isn't completely realistic. It would probably be too much work in my current situation. But if you could supply caches of basesystem spells (and some other tidbits I might need) I'd love to try and shove them on my laptop's HD. I have a good kernel config already, so I can deal with any generic hardware compat issues.

Juuso