sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg-modular and PROVIDES seem screwed up

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg-modular and PROVIDES seem screwed up
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:20:24 -0700

On Thursday 20 March 2008 23:11:42 Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> On 02:46:20 2008-03-21 "Bearcat M. Sandor" <bearcat AT feline-soul.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > i recently updated my git grimore with the latest xorg-modular spells.
> > My mouse is all sorts of messed up, but that's beside the point.
> >
> > In trying to fix it, i recast dbus i am told i have no providers of
> > X11-LIBS. In #sourcemage the bot tells you that xorg-server provides
> > it, but it does not. Xorg-server provides X11-SERVER. What would seem
> > to provide it is xorg-libs but this latest git pull has exiled it.
> >
> > Something is a miss here.
>
> I changed nothing in that regards... you might have hit sandalle's work
> though... That could break it... All I did was update the versions and test
> cast them :)
>
> And last I checked xorg-server also provides X11-LIBS... if it does not
> it's a valid BUG... BTW xorg-libs is just a profile spell it doesn't
> install anything... just depends on a few libs... Hopefully once we get rid
> of the monolithic providers we can drop the X11-LIBS and X11-SERVER
> providers as well as everything will depends on specific libs...

To simplify, xorg-server now depends on xorg-libs and no longer provides
X11-LIBS. Why? It doesn't actually provide X11-LIBS, but instead depends on
other stuff that provides X11-LIBS.

As for breakage, my changes *should* not be causing that as I changed all
apps
to directly depend upon the proper packages and no longer using the X11-*
providers. The packages have been left providing X11-* for other grimoires
(e.g. games) to continue to work until this (some day) hits stable.

Feel free to "cleanup" my changes, but no one else was doing it and it's been
over a year, so I did.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285