sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel upgrade (2.6.24)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel upgrade (2.6.24)
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:06:06 +0000

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:40:31 -0600
David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:

> Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:
>
> > Craig Dyke wrote:
> >> Hi Eric
> >>
> >> Tried your suggestion with both 2.6.21 and 2.6.24 and both found my
> >> drive as hda and not sda
> >> so therefore did not boot as grub has root=/dev/sda2 which works
> >> for 2.6.19.5
> >
> > You should have CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y and CONFIG_PATA_ACPI as unset, at a
> > guess. It sounds like you've enabled PATA mode for you SATA drives
> > either in the BIOS or in the kernel.
>
> If this is an intel chipset, it's capable as functioning as both. In
> order to ensure that it doesn't show up as hda, you need to not
> include any of the normal Parallel ATA stuff. Only enable the Serial
> ATA drivers. Then it should work as you expect. It will require a bit
> of magic, like you'll have to boot into hda2, build the kernel with
> all the good stuff, then install it, modify grub and reboot. I seem to
> recall that I had this problem with an intel laptop of mine running
> the ICH7 chipset.
>
> I could be terribly wrong, but that's how I'd go about trying to fix this :)

Not including any PATA stuff would lose me the use of my DVD-Rom drive,
personally. :) I have an intel motherboard, an ASUS P5K, and kernel 2.6.23
running just fine. I think I have PATA emulation turned off in the bios, it
certainly looks like something I would have turned off. As to the kernel, I
had to install Debian first to get a working 64-bit system, and seeing as
Debian accessed my drives fine (and I hate configuring the whole kernel at
once) I ran make oldconfig using Debian's config. I'm attaching my whole
config, I couldn't be bothered to pull out the requisite details now.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>