sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel upgrade (2.6.24)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel upgrade (2.6.24)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:40:31 -0600

Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

Craig Dyke wrote:
Hi Eric

Tried your suggestion with both 2.6.21 and 2.6.24 and both found my drive as hda and not sda
so therefore did not boot as grub has root=/dev/sda2 which works for 2.6.19.5

You should have CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y and CONFIG_PATA_ACPI as unset, at a
guess. It sounds like you've enabled PATA mode for you SATA drives
either in the BIOS or in the kernel.

If this is an intel chipset, it's capable as functioning as both. In order to ensure that it doesn't show up as hda, you need to not include any of the normal Parallel ATA stuff. Only enable the Serial ATA drivers. Then it should work as you expect. It will require a bit of magic, like you'll have to boot into hda2, build the kernel with all the good stuff, then install it, modify grub and reboot. I seem to recall that I had this problem with an intel laptop of mine running the ICH7 chipset.

I could be terribly wrong, but that's how I'd go about trying to fix this :)
--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |