sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.5 going into test?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.5 going into test?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:52:44 +0200

Am Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:11:28 +0200
schrieb Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:

> > Have you looked into moving the kernel headers outside of glibc, or have
> > glibc using whatever is in /usr/src/linux to generate its headers,
> [...]
>
> My plan was to use the headers of the current kernel on the system as
> long as they can found (can't always find them for custom kernels) and
> otherwise some pre-tarballed ones.

I'd prefer a tested set of headers before finding out much later that
stuff doesn't compile with my glibc / linux headers.
I faintly remember a LFS system I had where I just (tried to) used the
plain linux 2.6 headers... some apps didn't like to compile with these...

What's the official state of the glibc-linux-headers mess? Are the plain
headers considered "safe" nowadays? Well, I read that Arwed had to patch
them already...

Thomas.