sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:43:17 -0700

On Thursday 19 April 2007 02:09:33 Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> On 09:08:36 2007-04-19 Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be> wrote:
> > Perhaps we should a have blitz campaign to get the xorg-modular
> > spells into a really useable shape, in much the same way that that
> > recent stable releases have been done. In particular a better
> > description of each spell and improved prompts for the optional depends.
>
> Descriptions and various dependencies in test(i.e. spell foo depends on
> X11-LIBS but it also needs libfoo and libbar when using -modular) are the
> main reasons for it not being in test.

While many people have xorg-modular working (including me ;)), we do need to
make sure we have the X11-LIBS and X11-SERVER dependencies worked out so
someone switching from xorg -> xorg-modular will not have any issues. We also
need a metaspell that gives the equivalent functionality to xorg.

I propose we do the following to clean up our X system:
* Remove xfree86* (unmaintained by us for years)
* Remove xdirectfb (unmaintained by anyone)
* Use xorg as the xorg-modular metaspell that depends on all required
packages
and has optional dependencies on all the drivers/fonts/etc.
* File a bug for each xorg-modular spell missing descriptions
* File a bug for each spell using X11-LIBS or X11-SERVER that does not also
have the corresponding check_if_xorg_modular_{libs,server} check and
dependencies

Note that this would remove all XFree86 versions of X as well as the
monolithic X.org X in favour of modular X.org.

The first two are more cleanup, but they would be nice. :) Once the last
three
have been done and fixed I believe xorg-modular would be ready for
integration with test.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285