sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] disaster recovery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] disaster recovery
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:22:25 +0100

Am Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:37:15 -0500
schrieb Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>:

> Because no one has had time to review them yet, we didn't know the exact
> cause yet, and so I went back to the last known good state before more
> systems were looking up how to do "disaster recovery". Nothing those
> commits fixed was worse than what would happen on this failure.

So, Jeremy patenly helped me to get this new devel-shadow branch of our
grimoire up.
In this branch, there are the fixes for bug 13505 and the create_group in
FINAL instead of INSTALL.
Ladislav, would you check this out and test shadow from there?
Btw, I now found out the simple cause for groupadd getting PAM auth failure
outside of cast in this chroot of mine: /etc/shadow was not existing yet!
When PAM cannot read that file, it gives an auth error, apparently - even if
you are already root and don't need to check for a password in /etc/shadow.

Would anyone who is interested please have a look at these shadow changes?
I'd like to have them eventually in stable grimoire...
With castfs and groupadd failing in there while succeeding in FINAL (as I
hope), it would really be nice to have an strace of that particular groupadd
run.
An existing /etc/shadow should be accessible in the castfs stage, right?

Thomas.