sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] disaster recovery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] disaster recovery
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:36:46 -0700

On 3/12/07, Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
On Mar 12, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> On Mar 12, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:
> > > Did you allow them to get restored to /etc/shadow by the one-time
> > > prompt to
> > > fix that bug, or no? That is, are they still in /etc/passwd from the
last
> > > bug, or is this happening again?
> >
> > It is another box and "sorcery system-update" was really unattended so
> > only default answers.
> > Just found out that /etc/pam.d/login is missing.
> > I will try to restore it.
>
> These two things (plain passwords and no pam.d/login) make me suspicious
> shadow failed to install correctly and was left dispelled. Can you confirm
> if shadow is currently installed?

Yeah, I think I'm right; from a cast of current test shadow:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/shadow-4.0.17'
`etc/limits' -> `/etc/limits'
`etc/login.access' -> `/etc/login.access'
`etc/login.defs' -> `/etc/login.defs'
`etc/useradd' -> `/etc/default/useradd'
Something went wrong with adding the group users with gid 1000
so going to stop here...
! Problem Detected !
INSTALL failed!
INSTALL failed!
Creating compile log /var/log/sorcery/compile/shadow-4.0.17.bz2
Creating castfs debug log
/var/log/sorcery/compile/shadow-4.0.17.castfs.dbglog.b
z2

Spells that encountered problems:
shadow

Yeah I saw the same thing on my box with this recent shadow update. I
had to compile it without pam support for it to succeed then things
(like logging in) worked.

Haven't had time to mess with why or how if you remove the `>
/dev/null 2>&1` part of the groupadd command in libaccount it spits
something out about pam authentication failure.

- David Brown