sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] disaster recovery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] disaster recovery
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:28:05 +0100

Howdy all,

my box is again live and kicking. Yea, it was problem of shadow spell.
It was dispelled.
Just copied some file from /var/cache/sorcery/shadow... to file system.
I don't know if /etc/pam.d/login could be sufficient.

> I'm not sure if this helps, but roughly three weeks ago I re-casted
> shadow. The cast completed successfully, but somehow it removed
> /etc/pam.d/su . So I was not able to switch to root. I did ssh
> root@localhost and fixed that.

Yea, I remember I had the same problem.
I wanted to investigate it but I had no time so just fixed it on my box.

Looking to HISTORY, it was probably on 2007-01-20, pam.d/su was moved
from shadow to coreutils.
PATCHLEVELs were updated so probably coreutils was recasted and the file
/etc/pam.d/su was owned by both shadow and coreutils.
Then shadow was recasted and file /etc/pam.d/su was removed.

Was it problem only of our two boxes?
Do only we two use test grimoire? :-)

--
Ladislav Hagara