sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:10:31 +0100

On 05:35:13 2007-03-02 Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
> On Feb 24, "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> > I had the following lying around on my hdd for a few weeks and today
> > decided to finalize it.
> >
> > Here's the idea(as used in the nano system-wide config install):
> >
> > provide a way to be able to pick what add/deluser scripts to install
> > provide a way to not install any such scripts
> > make it easily extensible by having them in a dir
>
> I see the point to this but I'm skeptical. Assuming there's a wider
> need for something like this, do we really want to implement them as
> spell menus all over the place and push more queries in front of users
> just because some people might like some custom scripts? There should
> be a more generic way to do this.

Provide one and I'll use that. We could just have a simple query do you
want to use the default add/dell user scripts? if the users answers no
they get the list if not we don't ask them about it again.

And as for a wider need. Well it's extra user choice. Especialy since
last I checked shadow didn't provide any upstream defaults for it. I'd be
just as happy if we didn't install and add/del user scripts then and
stick to what we ussualy have... only upstream defaults.

Both solutions are fine by me but I doubt many others would be equaly
pleased.

> Even inside this implementation, I have questions...
>
> - I don't think we want to start introducing system files with IRC
> nicks in them. We should keep more abstraction than that between the
> user systems and the developer preferences.

Well we do the same for nano. But if you have a better alternative
please...

> - Using internal sorcery API calls like this is not recommended,
> especially when you have to hack around the prompt delay like that.
> What's wrong with a regular read -p ?

That can easily be replaced by own query_string implementation etc...
I simply used what was available at the time I wrote them and didn't
bother with being extra carefull. And they don't touch our default ones.
I still need to update the default ones to workaround the changed base
directory problem i.e. /home/users/ instead of /home.

> - Are your scripts complete? They echo instead of running commands and
> the delete one references a $DEADDUCK I don't see set. Also you
> don't quote args as many places as you should. Though looking at our
> current scripts, neither do they.

Well the del one is more or less what we had I haven't finished writting
that one as I have yet to remove a user from my systems. As for echoing
everything well I do like to test what I include. That's the diff based
off. The echos would be removed before final commit.