sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:35:13 -0600

On Feb 24, "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> I had the following lying around on my hdd for a few weeks and today
> decided to finalize it.
>
> Here's the idea(as used in the nano system-wide config install):
>
> provide a way to be able to pick what add/deluser scripts to install
> provide a way to not install any such scripts
> make it easily extensible by having them in a dir

I see the point to this but I'm skeptical. Assuming there's a wider need
for something like this, do we really want to implement them as spell menus
all over the place and push more queries in front of users just because
some people might like some custom scripts? There should be a more generic
way to do this.

Even inside this implementation, I have questions...

- I don't think we want to start introducing system files with IRC nicks in
them. We should keep more abstraction than that between the user systems
and the developer preferences.

- Using internal sorcery API calls like this is not recommended, especially
when you have to hack around the prompt delay like that. What's wrong
with a regular read -p ?

- Are your scripts complete? They echo instead of running commands and the
delete one references a $DEADDUCK I don't see set. Also you don't quote
args as many places as you should. Though looking at our current
scripts, neither do they.