sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for 2007

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for 2007
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:51:55 -0800

- I don't intend to spend a lot of time on a 1.0 release roadmap. I
frankly think it's wasted energy and not something we're ready for as
things stand right now. We need to solve a lot more basic problems
before we're ready to even decide what "1.0" means. Things like how to
reliably do stable releases, how to have decent documentation, etc. If
the distro solves those things and is ready to figure out what "1.0"
means for us then I'd look at that again, but for now I think it
distracts and confuses us more than anything. It just doesn't fit the
model of who we are. That's my opinion, anyway; if you disagree, I'm
probably not who you want.

So does this mean you are for throwing out the 1.0 roadmap? I'd really
like to have a good discussion about the release cycle and why we even
have the idea of "1.0" still around. I'm not for having a 1.0 goal.
I'd much rather see us develop a cycle of releasing iso's and
grimoires (sorcery already has a good process and is sticking to it)
then developing some sort of version on top to keep things,
incremental to help distinguish between releases, but I don't think we
need to enhance or build up the meaning of one particular version
number. This would be something similar to udev's style of releases,
version 100 of udev didn't have any more or less importance than 101
or 99. So what I guess I'm asking is what do you see for the future of
Source Mage? are you going to continue the idea of "working toward a
1.0," or are you in favor of throwing that out? What sort of
release/process oriented aspects would you like changed or
"refactored"?

P.S. These questions could be answered by both candidates.

- David Brown