sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-archspecs-0.7

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-archspecs-0.7
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:12:17 +0100

Am Mon, 8 Jan 2007 07:40:46 -0800
schrieb Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:

> If you want to get it out in the next stable, great, but dont do it
> because you feel you have only two weeks to do it.

That is not the issue... the stuff is done since quite some time. It is
just the question if anyone really opposes the minimal default
archspecs.
Currently we have a set of "normal" archspecs with the extra (unneeded
or even counterproductive) flags and a set of *_minimal archspecs that
omit them.
I really would prefer not to introduce the extra set but change the
default ones accordingly.

This ML post is for making sure that there will be no major call for
murder when we get them out as intended and people think we just
disabled MMX or so.
So, if there is no major objection, the beginning of qa builds for the
new stable are a good place to start using the refined archspecs -
because we have to build as much stuff as possible on as many platforms
as possible to claim to have any testing for the archspecs package.
Casting the spell itself indeed is the smallest part there.
A point were I have a bit of hesitation is the changed hosttype for
ppc. I hope to get access to that ppc box again to see what it does
changing hosttype inside running system and rebuilding/updating.

Generally, there are many quite obvious fixes in the specs that are
waiting for a very long time already.

Thomas.