sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: putting udev vs. hotplug to rest]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Armando Vega <synan AT rilinux.hr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: putting udev vs. hotplug to rest]
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:09:12 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] putting udev vs. hotplug to rest
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:07:32 +0100
From: Armando Vega <synan AT rilinux.hr>
To: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
<200701072138.14155.lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
<200701081225.39496.iuso AT sourcemage.org>
<200701081452.03099.lynx AT mages.ath.cx>

Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> On Monday 08 January 2007 13:25, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
>> On Sunday 07 January 2007 20:38, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
>>> You forgot to mention udev-old, which has been made just for that. It is
>>> even newer than the version in the current stable.
>> Udev-old exists only for cases where the user has a < 2.6.15 kernel and
>> therefore needs hotplug to autoload modules. It's definitely not meant to
>> be the default choice. The next stable will have a 2.6.18.1 kernel.
> I didn't mean to say it should be the default choice, just pointed out you
> forgot to show the whole picture.
>
>>> What about udev force_depending on linux and speculating that both will
>>> be in the queue? Would that work?
>> This and the other solutions that depend on linux have the inherent fault
>> that we don't want to enforce a linux dependency on users.
> If somebody doesn't use the linux spell, I don't see how we could update
> the
> kernel their way or ask them to do it without breaking the chain.

There's another thing. There are spells that depend on hotplug that have
nothing to do with the linux spell.
Take gnomad2 for one. It depends on libnjb which in turn depends on
libusb and they both depend on hotplugging for working the way they were
intended. There are newer versions that can be tweeked for udev, but as
read in the README of libnjb, the devels thing the udev-only thing is
"crap". That a cite, not my opinion :)

I guess there are more spells like this one that will need special care
or will simply break on a udev-only system.

syn

(sorry Jaka, I still don't like the idea of reply going to the sender,
not the list so you got this twice :)

--
< Linux User #335950 > | < JID: synan AT tuff.org.uk > | < ICQ: 7012171 >

  • [SM-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: putting udev vs. hotplug to rest], Armando Vega, 01/08/2007