sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] putting udev vs. hotplug to rest

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] putting udev vs. hotplug to rest
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:51:58 +0100

On Monday 08 January 2007 13:25, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 20:38, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > You forgot to mention udev-old, which has been made just for that. It is
> > even newer than the version in the current stable.
>
> Udev-old exists only for cases where the user has a < 2.6.15 kernel and
> therefore needs hotplug to autoload modules. It's definitely not meant to
> be the default choice. The next stable will have a 2.6.18.1 kernel.
I didn't mean to say it should be the default choice, just pointed out you
forgot to show the whole picture.

> > What about udev force_depending on linux and speculating that both will
> > be in the queue? Would that work?
>
> This and the other solutions that depend on linux have the inherent fault
> that we don't want to enforce a linux dependency on users.
If somebody doesn't use the linux spell, I don't see how we could update the
kernel their way or ask them to do it without breaking the chain.

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org