sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] putting udev vs. hotplug to rest

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] putting udev vs. hotplug to rest
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:11:58 -0800

To solve the hotplug deprecation with newer udev issue you canjust treat
hotplug as deprecated and make it like a deprecated spell except make
the scripts all condition the deprecated behavior on the check for the
new udev.

I'm fine with the rest of what you said, and I'll note that none of this
process affects static dev users (they won't get either behavior since
hotplug will revert to correct behavior with no udev installed and with
no udev, it won't require them to update their kernel.)

This also means that anybody using an older kernel might want to use an
udev-old (or a udev-and-hotplug spell), or is there something else that
needs to happen to enable that?

Seth