sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:06:38 -0600

On Dec 01, David Brown [dmlb2000 AT gmail.com] wrote:
> > I updated them a while ago and they worked for me. not sure if the
> > organisation of xen vs. xen-kernels spells is still appropriate, but the
> > result worked for me with udev + coldplug.
>
> We can split it up even further though I have an example of a set of
> spells if people would like to try them, even though I couldn't get
> the documentation to work.
>
> scribe add xen-grimoire from
> git://dmlb2000.homelinux.org/xen-grimoire.git:xen-grimoire &&
> cast -r xen
>
> The setup is simple, there's really four components to the xen system:
> kernel(s) depending on how you look at it
> hypervisor to provide abstracted layer to the kernel
> tools to provide logging and managing of xen images
> docs to tell you how to do things
>
> So I split the package up into the four parts and made four spells
> (along with the subdepends of linux you can get the kernel from there
> if you like its optional).
> xen (profile spell)
> xen-tools (userspace stuff)
> xen-hyporvisor (don't need much to build this)
> xen-docs (which I can't get to work)
>
> Note: if you plan on using linux spell for handling the kernel just
> select the latest 2.6 kernel and exit, the sub-depends will take care
> of draging the appropriate patches into the spell. Its also important
> to cast -r xen so the linux configure menu will pop up.

The thing with xen is that they aren't really a frozen build process to
create a spell for. They change a lot, and often. Kind of like mozilla.
This is one reason I'd be leery of getting the spell set up one way that
integrates with other spells -- the very next xen version is likely to
change the install process and make the spells need to be rewritten again.
Obviously that's an issue regardless of how we set the spell up but it's
why I was trying an approach of a minimal, top-level build instead of
splitting things up into multiple spells or trying to integrate with the
linux spell.

> Along with a 'how-to' on the wiki I think we could get more people
> using xen with smgl.

We have a doc, though it would need to be updated as the spell changes.