sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:12:57 -0800

The thing with xen is that they aren't really a frozen build process to
create a spell for. They change a lot, and often. Kind of like mozilla.
This is one reason I'd be leery of getting the spell set up one way that
integrates with other spells -- the very next xen version is likely to
change the install process and make the spells need to be rewritten again.
Obviously that's an issue regardless of how we set the spell up but it's
why I was trying an approach of a minimal, top-level build instead of
splitting things up into multiple spells or trying to integrate with the
linux spell.

Yes, this is true to some extent, according to their website the only
thing (it seems) officially support is `make world` which is plastered
all over their website and wiki, but I choose targets in the build for
each of the packages to be sub directories in the main build system.
Since they are using make to do their build system, I wouldn't expect
that to change either, those sub directories will be build-in targets
regardless of what they change (might have to add a -C to the build
process of each spell). I think this is a minimal fuss partition of
the xen package.

However, if things do change someone would have to be responsable for
catching it and changing all the spells accordingly. This could fall
under my domain since 1/4 of the system technically is a patch against
the kernel, and really in memory space 1/2 of it is in the memory
space of the kernel. (this means; Yes, I'm willing to volunteer
maintaining the xen packages.)

> Along with a 'how-to' on the wiki I think we could get more people
> using xen with smgl.

We have a doc, though it would need to be updated as the spell changes.

Yeah, it would need to be updated along with the xen smgl install page.

- David Brown