sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc-0.6 and init.d

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc-0.6 and init.d
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:26:42 -0600

On Nov 15, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> <snip>
> > This will BREAK systems which are in currently running in *production*
> > environments for some of our users. And it will break them in one of the
> > worst ways possible -- they won't have any obvious indication things are
> > broken until the next time their box reboots and fails to get past init.
> > Whether we claim to support LVM before 1.0 or not, this is a non-option.
> >
> > If no one has time to resolve the LVM issues in test, we should just
> > backport the udevstart patch by itself.
> OR, a simpler approach. ;)
>
> Sync up with test, and revert these:
> commit adbab1098ff1a2dd9f1eff2882cb6b47c1066ca7
> Author: Thomas Orgis <sobukus AT sourcemage.org>
> Date: Thu Nov 2 20:12:10 2006 +0100
>
> dmsetup in init.d/mountall.sh failing is not fatal (simply no dm in
> kernel),
>
> commit 772f276d53fecceaf68441af953afc041887da62
> Author: Thomas Orgis <sobukus AT sourcemage.org>
> Date: Sun Oct 29 14:39:03 2006 +0100
>
> enable device mapper nodes discovery in init.d/mountall.sh
>
> Assuming those are the two changes that break LVM.

No, those have nothing to do with it. The changes that broke the initrd
LVM are the ones that split out mountroot/etc. for the purpose of getting
non-initrd LVM working. These were made under P4; there aren't git commit
ids for them.

The 9177 comments document this extensively; the problem is understood, the
fix is less clear. Probably what is needed is a significant rework of the
init script ordering logic that goes a good bit farther than the simple
mountroot split.

I agree the primary approach should be fixing LVM, but it sounds like no
one thinks they have resources to test that. Let me see if I can make some
time for it this weekend. It's possible.