sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc-0.6 and init.d

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc-0.6 and init.d
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:55:29 -0600

On Nov 14, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm currently working on releasing a new stable-rc. We currently have
> issues with init.d in that the init.d in stable-rc complains about
> udevstart missing, but the init.d in test breaks LVM[0] systems. I would
> like volunteer(s) to try to fix the LVM system (preferably ones with
> LVM), but if no one has LVM, I see no issue with integrating the current
> test init.d into stable-rc.

This will BREAK systems which are in currently running in *production*
environments for some of our users. And it will break them in one of the
worst ways possible -- they won't have any obvious indication things are
broken until the next time their box reboots and fails to get past init.
Whether we claim to support LVM before 1.0 or not, this is a non-option.

If no one has time to resolve the LVM issues in test, we should just
backport the udevstart patch by itself.