sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg-modular and fonts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg-modular and fonts
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:15:32 +0100

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 07:53:11PM +0800, sqweek wrote:
> On 11/1/06, B. A. S. <silverdrop9 AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am using the xorg modular mentioned on the wiki and msttf. For some
> > reason
> > many characters do not show correctly (such as quotation marks that
> > surround a
> > sentence...the beginning and end quotes and plus signs as well.) I feel
> > I am missing
> > something here or perhaps compiled some stray package with an option or
> > lack
> > thereof that I should look into. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> The problem is, msttf has crap for utf8 support. I thought it was
> gmails fault for ages until I went through its CSS and discovered
> "font-family: Arial;". Dispelled mstff and bampf, everything works.

I guess they assume everyone has a somewhat new Windows or Office XP,
those have an unicode version of Arial included (a 10Mb ttf file).
For people who don't want to completely dispel msttf, you can use
~/.fonts.conf to replace Arial with something else with a rule like:
<alias>
<family>Arial</family>
<prefer>
<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>