sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:32:35 -0700

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:17:36AM +0200, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have the possibility to propose a project for master students in my
> university (the first in France that propose a master in open-source
> software :-) ).
>
> Is there something you've had in mind for a long time and you never had
> the time to do ? Big sorcery feature ? Graphical ISO installer ? Maybe
> graphical interface for sorcery ? SELinux true support ? Prometheus
> feature ? Special architecture support ?
> As this is for master students, the project must be consequent, so we
> can't only ask them to fix bugs, although I would like to... ;-)
>
> I only have two days to propose something, so if you have something to
> say, be quick. :)

How about libpatch? The basic idea is to provide some sort of API for
spells to uniformly describe their patches. The API has to be generic
enough to support both simple usages and complex ones. Patching of
course, requires touching all three phases of cast (depends-resolution,
downloading, building). Its non-intrusive to the core of sorcery, and
can even be prototyped outside sorcery.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |