sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:04:23 -0500

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:23:12 -0700
David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> 3) x86-64 multi-lib support (I know this is a sore subject but if they
> could figure it out and how to make it optional that'd be cool ;).

i don't think it is extensive enough a subject for a master's project,
as all we need to do is: switch from a full precompiled 32bit
smgl-emul32 to a each time compiled glibc/gcc with rest precompiled
libs to be conforming with what other distros do.

we can run 32bit apps on x86_64 right now, we just would have issues
building things like grub for example (i am actually working on means
of building it on a fully precompiled (refering to 32bit libs) system)

> 4) parallel install of cross compiler tool-kits (ie so
> /usr/bin/avr-unknown-gcc would be my avr compiler).

although something we are sorely missing (even just multiple versioned
host compilers) again, not sure what kind of scope they want for a
masters program, if they do think adding this to a dsitro is
sufficient, by all means, please do this ;)

cross compilation should be a bigger field than just multilib, what i
am not sure of is how you define project success or failure on a what
4500+? packages grimoire, and full cross compile readyness would
include making sure each package builds with each toolchain, and should
be including uclibc toolchains as well, as most embedded users would
not lug around a heavy glibc ;)

maybe this makes 5) full uclibc support, with a uclibc based base
system in a uclibc grimoire? (having 4) would make 5) easier due to
ability to use the cross toolchain to build a rootfs via
INSTALL_ROOT=/uclibcroot )