sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] building xgl

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Lalo Martins <lalo.martins AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] building xgl
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:06:08 +0800

Allright... although I've been active on IRC for what, almost three months
now... this is my first post to the list, so I apologise in advance if I
slip on some protocol.

A while ago, I switched my home desktop to xgl and compiz. It wasn't hard
at all to get it working under SMGL (except for a few hours of pain with
the proprietary driver and mesa, sigh). I have since promised some mages
on IRC to create spells for this stuff.

Well, now not only I feel confident enough to try it, but also, cairo 1.2
was released, which means we have all the requirements in the grimoire.

So here's my roadmap:

- First, I need a "linux-indirect" build of mesalib. This is used by both
Xgl and compiz, either by LD_PRELOAD'ing or linking statically. I wrote a
spell that does this (I picked the static route, as it avoids messy stuff
at runtime).

- Now to compile Xgl. I don't know what's best here; the xorg-server
spell supposedly has Xgl, but it doesn't build for me. Maybe it's too
old; the instructions at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXgl
say get it from cvs, and that's how I built mine.

- Finally, spells for compiz and its goodies; those are already in
progress, although they will be of limited value until we have xgl.
(Well, although they do run from aiglx, supposedly.)

At the moment, I'm stuck at Xgl. Trying to build it from the xorg-server
spell in xorg-modular ends like this:

make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0/hw/xgl'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0/hw/xgl'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0/hw'
^[[31m^[[1m ! Problem Detected ! ^[[0m
xglcompose.c: In function 'xglCompositeGeneral':
xglcompose.c:134: error: 'union _SourcePict' has no member named 'source'
xglcompose.c:172: error: 'union _SourcePict' has no member named 'source'

which probably means we need newer sources. Also, I suspect Xgl needs to
link to the "indirect" static mesa.

So I see three routes:

a) fix xgl on the xorg-server spell (probably above my level of magic)

b) add options to xorg-server to build from cvs or a snapshot

c) add a new spell that compiles from cvs or a snapshot

thoughts?

best,
Lalo Martins
personal: http://www.laranja.org/