sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] building xgl

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Lalo Martins <lalo.martins AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] building xgl
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:28:59 +0800

Ok, I figured out what's keeping Xgl from compiling.

The xorg-xserver spell needs to (and currently does) unpack the mesalib
sources together with xserver itself, for purposes that I probably don't
really want to know.

It seems the released Mesa (6.5) doesn't have the APIs needed for Xgl yet.
I peeked at the Ubuntu package and Gentoo ebuild, and they use a
development snapshot -- in the case of Ubuntu, the same one I'm using in
my mesalib-indirect-static spell.

The compile instructions in f.d.o. (on
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXgl in case you want to see
them) go in the general direction of getting Mesa from cvs on /tmp/Mesa,
then configuring xorg with "--with-mesa-source=/tmp/Mesa". Those are the
instructions I used to get Xgl working (non-sorcery) in the first place.

I'm not sure building the whole xorg-xserver with a development mesa
that's potentially different than the one in the system is wise... so my
initial reaction was to make a separate Xgl spell... but that would be
duplicating a lot of stuff. So I'd appreciate ideas on how to proceed...

Meanwhile, the spells for mesalib-indirect-static, compiz-quinn and cgwd
are available in a cvs WIP grimoire:
http://www.compiz.net/viewtopic.php?pid=16632

(Bear in mind compiz is not really Xgl-specific; for some hardware, it
will work with aiglx, in which case the existing xorg-xserver spell does
the job. I don't know if my spells actually compile and run in that case,
though, as I don't have access to such hardware to test it.)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:06:08 +0800, Lalo Martins wrote:
> - Now to compile Xgl. I don't know what's best here; the xorg-server
> spell supposedly has Xgl, but it doesn't build for me. Maybe it's too
> old; the instructions at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXgl
> say get it from cvs, and that's how I built mine.

best,
Lalo Martins
personal: http://www.laranja.org/
technical: http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/