sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] building xgl

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Lalo Martins <lalo.martins AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] building xgl
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:48:13 +0800

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:17:38 -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:

> Quoting Lalo Martins <lalo.martins AT gmail.com>:
> <snip>
>> I'm not sure building the whole xorg-xserver with a development mesa
>> that's potentially different than the one in the system is wise... so my
>> initial reaction was to make a separate Xgl spell... but that would be
>> duplicating a lot of stuff. So I'd appreciate ideas on how to proceed...
> <snip>
>
> If the mesalib package were to install the CVS version, would
> xorg-xserver then build with Xgl support? If so then perhaps the best
> option would be to have mesalib install the stable or CVS version and
> have xorg-xserver's support of Xgl depend on mesalib using the CVS
> checkout (using SUB_DEPENDS).

No, there's the wicked thing. The Mesa that xserver unpacks for its
compile doesn't need to have any relation to the libGL actually active in
the server. In fact, it pretty much can't -- Xgl only works with nvidia
or ATI for libGL at the moment, so it's basically impossible to have it
and mesalib actually installed.

You can't use a static mesalib either like I do for compiz; xserver seems
to need the Mesa *sources*, possibly to access DRI drivers or some other
stuff that Mesa doesn't install.

best,
Lalo Martins
personal: http://www.laranja.org/