sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Stage Root Testers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Stage Root Testers
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:48:59 -0700

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:30:16PM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> On 6/12/06, David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay I'm going to interpret the overwhelming silence from the alpha
> > testers that everything was a success and nothing should be changed (I
> > should be a politician). I've gotten verbal confermation from Andrew
> > that stage root is very close to getting into devel, so if anyone has
> > anything they want to change before stage root sorcery breaks
> > everything they have (joke) let me know soon.
> >
> > However, seriously I'd like to have some feed back from regular
> > developers about this, if you can help please try it out...
> >
> > 1) add stage_root grimoire from perforce //sgl/grimoires/stage_root
> > and make sure stage_root is above test/stable-rc/stable grimoire
> > 2) get stage-root sorcery
> > a) git-clone http://scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/sorcery.git
> > b) cd sorcery && git-checkout devel-stage-root && ./install
> > c) sorcery system-update

So heres the plan right now.

First I'm going to pull the stage-root stuff into devel within a day or
so. Barring any major reports from this round of testing.

I'm also going to integrate some fixes to test sorcery to make it
compatible with installwatch 7. Installwatch 7 still has a logging-only
mode like in installwatch 6. However a few minor differences makes it
not work out of the box.

Once that is done, we'll need some testers to make sure installwatch 7
works with test sorcery. When we're reasonably sure things are ok (we're
not expecting any issues but I'm erring strongly on the side of caution)
there will be a stable sorcery release. I should've realized backporting
these fixes was necessary sooner. I apologize, my fault entirely.

Im expecting that in parallel to this the stable grimoire release will
occur. Once that is done and a new stable-rc is cut, I will have the
upgrade the installwatch spell in test grimoire from the stage-root
grimoire. Again erring on the side of caution that should give us two
stable grimoire cycles to catch any issues that would effect users of
stable grimoire.

Im being deliberatly very conservative about this. Depending on how many
free cycle's other people have, its certainly possible to accelerate this
(like with prometheus testing, or if people specifically step up to tell
us what they find that doesnt work).

As always please do not hesitate to report bugs or issues in bugzilla.

Finally, spells can set the variable STAGED_INSTALL to "off". Sorcery will
skip all the staging stuff and work in the traditional logging-only mode.
If spell failures occur this can help determine if stage-root is at
fault or not.

That being said, I strongly suggest that we don't use STAGED_INSTALL=off
as a permanent fix. Instead we should fix installwatch if at all possible
(sending fixes upstream), otherwise more spells will encounter the
same problems. This should work in *all* cases and the sorcery team is
committed to helping ensure that happens.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |