sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] wireless-bash scripts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] wireless-bash scripts
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:02:36 -0700

For those of you who don't know I've made this little package called
wireless-bash [0] to manage the different wireless connections that I
run across throughout my day. It doesn't use netconf or our
networking scripts at all, other than you can tell wireless-bash to
run ifup on an interface once it's connected.

I've thought about integrating this into our networking scripts but
I've been reluctant because people may scream bloody murder about how:
1) complicated it is (most-likely without even looking at it)
2) probably should be it's own separate package
3) certain functionality isn't supported yet
4) why does it need a daemon
etc...

Some of the features include:
1) maintaining a minimum connectivity quality
wireless-bash when the quality of the connection drops below a
particular percent (given by /proc/net/wireless) it will go searching
for another essid to connect to.
2) precedence between multiple essids you may encounter
wireless-bash will go through a user specified list in order looking
for the first essid to connect to, so if the user perfers a connection
to a particular essid put that essid ahead of everything else in the
list.
3) each essid has it's own unique connection style currently supported are:
a) wep
b) open
4) post or pre connection script to connect to the essid given
wireless-bash will run specified pre and post connection scripts (this
is good for vpn clients and such)
5) both a running daemon and a command line utility
you can choose not to run the daemon at all (negating features 1 and
2) and simply run the commandline utility to connect to the essid.

Some of the things I have yet to do and want to:
1) figure out wpa and make it work with wireless-bash

I really find this tool to be extremely helpful especially when
suspending my machine and bringing up somewhere else. If anyone has
any suggestions or recommendations let me know. There's also a spell I
wrote for it here[1].

[0] http://dmlb2000.homelinux.org:8080/pub/wireless-bash
[1]
http://dmlb2000.homelinux.org:8080/pub/wireless-bash/wireless-bash-spell.tgz