sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wireless-bash scripts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Juuso Alasuutari" <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wireless-bash scripts
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:45:08 -0700

David, I'm delighted to see you focus on making wireless "just work" on Linux.
I also share that dream.

That's basically it :)

I haven't yet tested your script, and I doubt I will in the near future,
because I need WPA for all my wifi stuff. But I've researched wpa_supplicant
for some time now, and will at some point attempt to pull together an app to
help manage connections with it.

Well if you can manage to make the package easier to configure and
easier to setup, that would be a great help.

You're right in that wpa_supplicant is hard to figure out, but not impossible.
Once you get to know the program you'll see that it's capable of much more
than initially seems, and is a steady base upon which to build a wireless
manager UI.

You can run wpa_supplicant as daemon, and you can then add, remove and edit
networks via wpa_cli. The config file approach that Dave highlighted is one
approach, but I like the dynamic operation that wpa_cli offers much more.

I didn't know wpa_suppicant could be run as a daemon I never got it to
do that when I was messing with it.

Oh, the reason why wpa_supplicant hasn't an init script is probably because
the program itself doesn't ship one. I have an init script on my box, but
I've figured that adding something like that to our spell is against the SMGL
philosophy.

It sure it in our philosophy, I'd put an initscript in the spell. By
not having an initscript with the spell you are in effect denying the
user the info that you could indeed run wpa_supplicant with an
initscript. ;)

- David Brown