sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wireless-bash scripts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wireless-bash scripts
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 15:06:57 +0300

David, I'm delighted to see you focus on making wireless "just work" on
Linux.
I also share that dream.

I haven't yet tested your script, and I doubt I will in the near future,
because I need WPA for all my wifi stuff. But I've researched wpa_supplicant
for some time now, and will at some point attempt to pull together an app to
help manage connections with it.

You're right in that wpa_supplicant is hard to figure out, but not
impossible.
Once you get to know the program you'll see that it's capable of much more
than initially seems, and is a steady base upon which to build a wireless
manager UI.

You can run wpa_supplicant as daemon, and you can then add, remove and edit
networks via wpa_cli. The config file approach that Dave highlighted is one
approach, but I like the dynamic operation that wpa_cli offers much more.

Oh, the reason why wpa_supplicant hasn't an init script is probably because
the program itself doesn't ship one. I have an init script on my box, but
I've figured that adding something like that to our spell is against the SMGL
philosophy.

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]