sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Init.d metadata RFC

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Init.d metadata RFC
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:24:47 -0500

On May 13, Jamie Tomlinson [jamie.tomlinson AT verizon.net] wrote:
> On Friday 12 May 2006 16:50, Andra???????? "ruskie" Levstik wrote:
> > OK since this is heading nowhere with lightspeed I'm requesting
> > some comments on this issue.
> >
> > Basicaly I'd like to see a FULL sample init.d metadata file
> > with EVERYTHING an init script might ever need.
> >
> > By FULL I mean with all the possible functions defined and so on.
> >
> > Once we have a file work can acctually start on how to implement
> > frontends and backends for it all.
> >
> > Relevant links:
> > Specification: http://wiki.sourcemage.org/InitMetadata
> > Possible targets: http://wiki.sourcemage.org/InitMetadata/InitSystems
>
> This I would love to see, for several reasons:
>
> 1.) A standardized place to put things instead of scattered through /etc
> It is sometimes a snipe hunt trying to go through and find where an
> initiating file is located. Is it in init.d? rc.d? sysconfig? It
> give a somewhat "thrown together" feeling. Once things are organized
> it
> allows for point #2.

This isn't that likely to resolve that kind of thing... though it could
depend on the init system used. Under simpleinit as we have today though
you should always find the startup script in /etc/init.d/runlevels/* and
any local admin settings in /etc/sysconfig. simpleinit does not use
/etc/rc.d, any files you have there are some spell misbehaving.