sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] prometheus done -- plus, should we sequester/reject java spells?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] prometheus done -- plus, should we sequester/reject java spells?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:08:47 +0200

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:16:50PM -0700, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
> I've done a first round through the grimoire and a lot of spells were
> skipped due to brokenness, so I expect a re-run will find even more
> issues. Through the weekend I will triage the rest of the bugs filed,
> but I have one question to ask of everybody:
>
> Should the spells that depend on z-rejected spells be moved until they
> can have that restriction lifted?

This is probably a good idea if it's a hard dependency, since a hard
dependency on a z-rejected spell basically means that the whole thing is
non-Free, even if the spell in question itself has a Free license.

> There are spells that depend on a z-rejected spell that aren't rejected
> because they could conceivably be run on code that wasn't rejected if we
> had a spell for it and got it to work with it. I'm talking mostly about
> anything we have that's java-based. I'm inclined just to say that java
> should be its own grimoire (sequestered) until we can get the spells to
> actually build/run in gcj or some other java compiler/runtime. Thus
> they're provisionally rejected, in a way since they can't be built with
> our system without a rejected spell.

Making java its own grimoire could be interesting from a code-reuse
point too. There are several java systems that can provide an
environment for java programs to work with. Not all are equally
powerful, but having all that in a seperate grimoire could make it
easier to support them.

http://www.sourcemage.org