sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage BSD

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage BSD
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:20:52 +0200

OK third update:

Restarted the plan this time using Debian GNU/kFreeBSD as base after I
found out that the glibc-bsd project is still alive and kicking but was
just moved around without much notice...

Plans for tomorrow:

get a .mapping file for our convert2smgl script for debian

get our init system working - will most likely need some tweaks in the scripts

get spells for freebsd-utils, freebsd-buildtools, freebsd-loader,
freebsd-kernel, freebsd-libs, libfreebsd, libbsd, freebsd-moused
made, will NEED to host snapshots since I don't want svn+neon as
a basesystem depends...

modify current glibc spell to apply bsd related patches...

hopefully if all goes well get a working smgb chroot by end of the week...

NOTES:
make a basesystem-freebsd or modify the current basesystem spell to have
support for both... NOTE: diff depends, net-tools aren't really usefull/usable
on BSD.

I'd like to also thank the folks on #gnu-kbsd for their help in this.
They are the ones that maintain glibc-bsd and mess with all of this.

I'd like to ask for our cauldron wizards to take a look at the scripts
here:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/web/cdscripts/?rev=0&sc=0

And see if our own iso scripts can be made to play nice. I will offer
the virtual machine and later my own box to generate the iso for this
when I have a chroot with all the spells in. I am using test grimoire and
devel sorcery though.

I still haven't decided if I should go with freebsd-5 or freebsd-6/-current.

I'm leaning more towards -6/-current as that has more hw support and would
require
no extra patching of the kernel sources since their patches were accepted
upstream.

It was a rather good day today...

Thank you for your attention now I'm off to sleep...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461