sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage BSD

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage BSD
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:51:22 +0200

Latest update:

Reverted to a pre-sorcery snapshot...

New plan....
First manualy install all the various tools needed for
sorcery... mostly done... lacking shadow and simpleinit-msb...

I'll probably get the init system up first.

Had to copy stuff manualy and so on... And still need to do some
copying... still lacking a decen't version of bash...

Tomorrow I'll try to get bash up and running... some sane version that
won't break when I replace libncurses... I'll probably build a static version
only for now.

Also seem to be having some odd problems with ldconfig... even though
I've added all the paths to the libs on the /etc/ld.so.conf and
/etc/ld-elf.so.conf:
/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/bsdbase/lib
/usr/bsdbase/usr/lib

BUT it doesn't seem to find the libs in the paths when I do ldd

I also contemplated using debian/kfreebsd for it but it uses a patched glibc
and a patched freebsd kernel...

glibc 2 does not work on freebsd and there seem to be no plans to get it to
work.
So the libc on bsd will be bsd's own...

When I'll be able to cast basesystem I'll try to get an iso of some sort
made with help of our cauldron team...

But first need to make a workable system...

NOTES:
get a spell for bsd libc
get a spell for bsd kernel
get a spell for bsd make

So far one person got back to me with interest in helping which atleast means
this isn't exatcly an unwanted idea.

The basic timeline of this really depends on how much time one gives in but
I'm

hoping no more than 14 days will be needed to see if it's effective.

P.S.:
I've got exams in 1.5 months starting and need to do some studying so either
I'll be on Source Mage BSD in half a month or it'll have to wait 2 months
while

I wrap up my exams(6). Though I doubt I'll manage all of them. but if I can
get

atleast 3-4 done I'm done. And I can wrap what remains in september.
In case anyone is wondering what exams I've got here's the list:
Discrete structures - this will be a tad difficult for me
Basics of programing 2 - some more java and some c shouldn't cause much of a
problem
Basics of computer architectures 1&2 - mc68hc11 stuff, need te figure it out
- 2 diff exams
Analisys 1 - this will be a PITA most likely...
User apps - linux, oo.o, mathematica, gimp, etc type stuff should be rather
boring...

I will remain active with spell work but it will be limited to bugfixes mostly
for that duration.

- --
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461